Re: 2.3.51 tulip broken

From: Johan Kullstam (kullstam@ne.mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 21:35:18 EST

Dave_Pfaltzgraff@patapsco.com writes:

> Dave Pfaltzgraff@PATAPSCO
> 03/20/2000 04:54 PM
> Having been a student of computer technology (for several decades), I have
> learned the need for clearly defined interfaces. This is true whether you're
> speaking of hardware, software, user interfaces or almost any place where you
> can draw a line between levels of interaction and/or responsibility. Not knowing
> the inner workings of the Linux kernel at this point, I have to raise the
> question, as some others have in this thread, as to why the network is
> integrated into the kernel to the degree implied by those who are crying that
> the Tulip driver is broken.

i am crying because THE TULIP *DRIVER* REALLY *IS* BROKEN.
anything 0.91g and later WILL *NOT* WORK with tulip 21041.

this has nothing to do with any kernel interface changes, pci scanning
or embedding in the kernel. 0.91g just plain doesn't work with my
card while order revisions do. 0.91g compiles just fine. the kernel
runs fine. it's not a kernel stability issue. it's a broken driver
issue. the card doesn't work with this driver.

jeff garzik is actively looking into it. i have no idea what donald
becker is doing about it. afaict this is why jeff is now the
maintainer. jeff is actually maintaining it by entertaining bug
reports.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]