Source modules Makefile (was: Re: new IRQ scalability changes in 2.3.48)

From: Frodo Looijaard (frodol@dds.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 18:35:55 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> This is actually something for the Makefile and config hackers to ponder
> actually: being able to pack a 2.4 extra module as source so that the
> end user (or their rpm, dpkg, slp,... tools) can type Make and the Make
> script can grab all the needed config from the kernel .config and module
> syms that are already present

It is not that difficult; lm_sensors does exactly this when building.
Its Makefile looks in $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/autoconf.h (and
$(LINUX)/.config and $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/config.h for older kernels)
to determine whether it needs MOD_VERSIONS and SMP declarations.
It then compiles the modules in a sensible way, without ever writing
to your kernel tree.
If people are interested, I could strip it of all lm_sensors-specific
things and put it somewhere public.

  Frodo

--
Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>  PGP key and more: http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol