Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 15:16:53 EST

On 18 Mar 2000 23:12:11 +0100, you wrote:

>Den 17-Mar-00 13:43:11 skrev Stephen C. Tweedie følgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory??":
>
>> Even that doesn't cure things. Think about stack growth.
>
> What's the standard way of allocating stack space on Un*x systems?

My recollection is you get an "infinite" stack, demand allocated.
Exactly the same you get via malloc() - an unpopulated address space,
which is then populated when you use it.

Very handy in quite a few situations; no need to predefine your stack
size (as you would have to without overcommit), no need to mess around
trapping exceptions (as you do to implement sparse matrixes on
Win32)...

James.