Re: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?

From: Marco Colombo (marco@esi.it)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 14:47:36 EST

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Jesse Pollard wrote:

> James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk>
> > >It all depends on the application. I have seen embeded systems that
> > >could cause a loss of life on failure. I have worked on some that
> > >almost cost the job of the manager who sent it out.
> >
> > Definitely not the target market of the standard Linux kernel. While I
> > like Linux, I don't want to find myself on a penguin-powered life
> > support system. Equally, I don't want to run a mission-critical
> > embedded OS on my desktop PC.
>
> Which OS is more reliable a) Linux b) NT ?
> which OS is used to control a cruser with missles?

One that is not strickly an OS. The whole purpose of a missile (a cruiser,
at least) is not "running", is *crashing* (upon the target, hopefully).
Yes, it sounds like that NT is the choise, here, after all! B-)

> Which would you prefer: life support under NT, or life support under Linux?

Definitely none of them. Don't run a Web server on my life-support system,
please. Nor i want it to be "multiuser". And please, don't make it
multitasking, it has only *one* real important task to perform, thanks...

Besides that, i see no reasons for a missile or a life support system to
have a MMU in the beginning. No paging, no swapping, no overcommitting...

> > (Perhaps something like RTLinux could address these problems?)
>
> In some cases yes. In others it is not appropriate. Real-time, when measured
> in microseconds, is approprate for RTLinux. Where Real-time means "within
> an hour of the data arrival" it is not.
> Jesse I Pollard, II
> Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil
>
> Any opinions expressed are solely my own.

.TM.

--
     /      /       /			Marco Colombo