Re: (reiserfs) Re: reiserfs and knfsd and NFSv4 and volatile file handles

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@scot.redhat.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 13:21:19 EST

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 11:29:41PM +0300, Hans Reiser wrote:
> > Unfortunately, NFS can't survive without that. POSIX also requires
> > constant inumbers, BTW.
>
> It is bad design to require it. Currently we provide it, but it is bad design.

Unfortunately a lot of existing applications require it. "cp" and "tar",
for example: if you use a "cp -a" or a tar over hard links, it is the
unique (filesystem, inode number) identifier for the file which allows
hard links to be identified.

If you abandon the existence of such an identifier, then how can tar
maintain the current behaviour?

--Stephen