Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 12:40:02 EST

Jesse Pollard <pollard@cats-chateau.net> said:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
> >James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> said:

> >[...]

> >> However it is handled, you now know that your memory allocation
> >> succeeded and you have real memory on your hands, not just an IOU. If
> >> there isn't any memory available, you get SIGBUSed - but then OOM
> >> conditions usually lead to death anyway.

> >You can hand out a IOU when you don't have the cash at hand, so you can go
> >farther that way. That is why IOUs are around in the first place: They
> >_are_ useful, even if more dangerous than hard cash.

> You go farther until the mob calls your IOUs. Then you die.

Or until they decide to give them back, or if they decide not to cash them
in before I am able to pay, I'm home free. This _does_ happen all the time
with memory, rarely are real IOUs given back (unfortunately). In any case,
not everybody giving out IOUs gets killed for it either...

OK, so _your_ application (and those of a few other people) demand this. So
why don't you pool up and hire somebody to get it to work like you want? If
it is really that important, this should be peanuts for you.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl