Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 11:45:54 EST

"Rask Ingemann Lambertsen" <rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk>:
> Den 17-Mar-00 13:43:11 skrev Stephen C. Tweedie følgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory??":
>
> > Even that doesn't cure things. Think about stack growth.
>
> What's the standard way of allocating stack space on Un*x systems?

On IRIX and UNICOS (haven't hunted up Solaris yet):
   1. UNICOS Resource quota says your job can have X memory.
   2. IRIX adds you can have H amount of heap memory, S amount of stack
        memory.

Both allow for overcommitting memory.
   UNICOS hangs with processes in the swap state, and one process that
        can run.
   IRIX does the random process abort.

Both can be controled, I have run IRIX without overcommit, and UNICOS has
been run without overcommit.