2.3.99-pre2 NIC hangs

From: Jasper Spaans (jasper@spaans.ds9a.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 07:12:55 EST

Hi all!

There seems to be a problem with 2.3.99-pre2 and my ne2k-pci card, details
are as follows:

On my box (a dual P-II 350 on a Gigabyte 686BXD) I can get my ne2k to hang
by doing a local or a remote nmap -sS on a machine which is behind that
interface.

This ne2k is detected by lspci as a "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8029(AS)", connected to coax.

The other card in that machine, according to lspci it's a "Realtek
Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139 (rev 10)" and connected through 100BaseT,
doesn't seem to have any problems with this.

Nothing in the logs, no TX timeouts, etc. I haven't checked whether packets
get out on the wire, but there's certainly nothing coming back.

rmmod/insmod-ing the relevant modules doesn't seem to help, only after a
reboot I can get it back to a working state again.

If needed, I can make some tcpdumps of the traffic.

A little piece of .config (the networking options:)
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPV6=m

IPv6 was not loaded btw.

Regards, and keep up the good work,

Jasper

PS. it seems 2.3.99-pre2 decides to page out a lot sooner in favor of the
cache, and I like that behaviour a lot, since it seems to improve
responsiveness *and* speed a lot when doing nasty compiles

--
  Q_.        Jasper Spaans  <mailto:jspaans@mediakabel.nl>        -o)
 `~\         Conditional Access/DVB-C/OpenTV/Unix-adviseur        /\\