Re: Overcommitable Memory...

From: Paul Jakma (paul.jakma@compaq.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 06:51:16 EST

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, David Whysong wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Helge Hafting wrote:
>
> >use with linux) You can run your machine that way though, take a look
> >at /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
>
> But "echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory" does not prevent memory
> overcommit in a global sense, it just prevents any one program from using
> more VM than is currently free. Since memory is still not allocated until
> pages are touched, you can still be heavily overcommitted.
>
> Dave

david, helge,

that sysctl does *not* turn off overcommit.

it does the opposite, it turns off bounds checking of memory allocs
completely. Read the docs for it properly.

Anyone reading this thread contemplating enabling that sysctl - think
again - it does the opposite to what you might think. Never ever set
that sysctl to > 0 unless you know exactly why you need it.

-paul jakma.

[and can we please stop arguing about overcommit/oom on l-k?]