Re: Booting to >8GB...

From: Patrick J. Kobly (lunatic@hatari.dhs.org)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 03:16:07 EST

Daniel,

I have dealt with this on a number of occasions. I can confirm that GRUB will
_not_ solve this problem (it is, nonetheless an excellent bootloader, and I
would recommend it to anyone). Suggestions that will help are:

1) Having a small /boot partition under the 1023 cyl. limit.
2) Adding a second, small, cheap HD, which only contains a /boot partition -
   kernel, etc. Place your boot loader in the MBR of the first disk, tell it
   that the kernel resides on the second disk, and tell the kernel that root is
   on the first disk. Keep in mind that while the kernel must reside
   completely below 1023, there is no such restriction on the root partition.
3) Using a floppy disk with kernel on it.