BP6/HPT366 lockup - final comments

From: Valentijn Sessink (valentyn@nospam.openoffice.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 09:16:32 EST

Hello,

These are the final results on my quest for the BP6 mobo bug. I'm tired
of it for a while - so back to real work now ;)

On the Abit BP6 motherboard, I can reproduce a hang of the HPT366
controller. This is probably a hardware problem; however, it seems a
hardware problem for many BP6 motherboards. Hereby find some details. If
it's just a silly hangup of the motherboard: too bad. But maybe someone
can do something with the information I found.

Kernel 2.2.14pre14 with ide.2.2.15pre13. Abit BP6 with "QQ" (beta) BIOS,
2xCeleron466, 128M, Maxtor 15G running UDMA4, Matrox G200 8Mb, SMC
Epic100 NIC.

The hang occurs in line 1453 of drivers/block/ide.c, the GET_STAT()
macro just never returns.

I tried to #define REALLY_FAST_IO and also tried SLOW_IO_BY_JUMPING, but
that does not help. It seems just like the motherboard and/or processor
and/or chipset freeze at the "in" instruction. I tried fiddling with the
PCI settings, but to no avail. (A reboot sometimes results in the HPT366
finding a 303Mb drive with PIO-1, so there's definately something wrong
with the hardware.)

The lockup reproduction cmdline is: "cat /dev/hda>/dev/null&ping -f
server&".

As I don't know enough of motherboard hardware, there's nothing much I
can do now. If anyone knows a workaround, I'd be glad to test it.

Best regards,

Valentijn