Re: AIC-7890 SCSI problems

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 07:27:50 EST

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, G. Hugh Song wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Dr. Michael Weller wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, G. Hugh Song wrote:
[...]
> > BTW, I had some major problems with the aic7xxx driver on a aha2940u2w in
> > 2.2.14. It seems the mode sense handling was pretty much screwed and
> > caused havoc with more elaborate scsi devices (tapes, removables) that
> > need more than plain SCSI read/write commands.
>
> Ah-ha! I've got a SCSI CDRewritable drive from Sony. That probably
> caused timing erors. I guess I need to take out that fancy rewritable
> and put a plain IDE cdrom.
>
> > My problem (fortunately, knock on wood) seems to be cured by the 5.1.28
> > release. From my problems I'd claim that anyone trying to use a tape or
> > similar device would get plenty of problems w/o it.
>
> Without what?

W/o the 5.1.28 patch (and predecessors) applied to 2.2.14..

> > A new 2.2 release with
> > the updated aic7xxx driver is almost unavoidable.
>
> Are you talking about version 5.2.? of aic7xxx? The aic7xxx homepage does
> not have it yet. http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html

Sorry, it seems I made myself not clear enough. I meant, IMHO, a 2.2.15
release of the kernel with the 5.1.28 aic7xxx included is absolutely
necessary, s.t. it ends up on linux distribs as a default. Otherwise I'd
suspect people with aic7xxx cards using some SCSI removables (mod/tape)
for backup like I do will dangerous problems.

For example, I use the mo disk on another linux system since ages. Thus I
did not expect a single problem and I have some important data archived on
MOD's. If they haven't been write protected (I'm not that stupid...), I'd
completely lost that data due to media change misdetection...

So, I mean, the aic7xxx has DANGEROUS bugs in it.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de, or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on any machine in the net, it's very likely it's me.