bug report: Uniform CD-ROM driver has problems with audio playback on some CD's

From: Branden Robinson (branden@ecn.purdue.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 15:06:29 EST

I've had this problem since 2.2.13, I believe, and it still exists in
2.2.15pre14.

* Some discs fail to recover the table of contents at all, and refuse to play.
  Logged messages from when this happens are in my attached report.
* Every CD-Extra I own reports an incorrect (too long) track size for the
  final music track, therefore audio playback "falls off a cliff" at the
  end of the music track and traverses into the data region; on my IDE
  CD-ROM, this has no functional harmful effects, but on my SCSI CD-RW, the
  data is played back as audio. Logged messages from when this happens are
  in my attached report.
* On some discs, there are jumps and skips during playback; I am as certain
  as I can be this is not due to a scratched/dirty disc, as the same discs
  played back fine under 2.2.11. There appears to be no logging of
  anythign whatsoever when this happens.

Here is what Erik Andersen asked me to do:

<andersee> Hmm. post the details to l-k. If Jens doesn't beat me to it,
           I'll try to take a look.
<andersee> I have some deadlines for tomorrow. I'm trying to find a weird ash
            bug.
<Overfiend> andersee: okay, how much detail do you guys need? I get problems
            on both my SCSI burner and the IDE CDROM, but not the exact same
            error messages for (I assume) bus reasons.
<Overfiend> andersee: IOW, how much do I need to say about my specific
            hardware?
<andersee> Overfiend: the kernel msg (from dmesg) about the drive is enough.
<Overfiend> andersee: or is there no such thing as a bug report that contains
            too much info? :)
<Overfiend> andersee: okay.
<andersee> And any kernel msgs.
<andersee> BTW, you might want to compile cdrom.o as a module.
<Overfiend> andersee: yes, it spews a very lovely multi-line error to syslog
            and a nasty thing about SUBCHNL to stdout
<Overfiend> andersee: it is already, IIRC
<andersee> Then use "options cdrom debug=1"
* Overfiend checks
<Overfiend> oh
* Overfiend will add that
<andersee> Overfiend: I added that stuff just for such occasions. :)
<Overfiend> can I add an option to a module, update modules.conf, unload and
            reload the module?
<Overfiend> will that make it take effect?
<andersee> yup.
<Overfiend> excellent
<andersee> That was why I modularized that stuff. Makes debugging lots
            easier.
<andersee> In the old days, I used to reboot a lot.

Here's my dmesg output about the drives:

hdd: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
cdrom: entering register_cdrom
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56

Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

The rest of my report is in an attachment.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux               |     pound of antipasto, would they cancel