Re: Call for evaluation: new Intel eepro/100+, eepro100/S open source driver (but not GPL). Is it stable, neat, or on it's way into the kernel?

From: Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 08:18:42 EST

grep@shorelink.com (George Bonser) writes:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Dan Browning wrote:
>
> > At the least, maybe we could pilfer some code (like the Adapter teaming and
> > fault tolerance options) and install it into our driver.
>
> Looked at the driver, doesn't set IFF_RUNNING to reflect the link state.
> Might not be a good candidate for things like channel bonding.

Also the TX thread does not seem to properly lock against interrupts
on UP (on SMP it does though).

Interesting is that it does RX hardware checksumming, unfortunately
in a ugly way (a complete IP/UDP/TCP protocol parser in the driver).
Unfortunately the checksum checking routine is rather bogus
(does NT do it in this weird way?). Instead of just passing the
raw checksum for the data part up with CHECKSUM_HW, they do the
complete verify including pseudo header and adjust that then
for the raw checksum the upper layers expect.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.