Re: gettimeofday non-monotonic on SMP 2.3.47

From: Boris Okun (bokun@home.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 13:56:11 EST

Andrea,

I think the lost_ticks accounting in gettimeofday can be slightly wrong
in the presence of ntp, thus beating the purpose of ntp. Instead of
fixed size tick = 1000000/HZ we should be using tick+time_adjust_step
from update_wall_time_one_tick() in timer.c. This solution can be wrong
if there were many lost ticks, and it is slightly off because of
possible additional coorection from time_phase.

Also, I still don't understand how lost_ticks can be >1. What can
inhibit bh from running between two ticks?

Boris