Shadow password authentication on Linux

From: Adrian Cho/OTT/OTI (Adrian_Cho@oti.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 22:22:39 EST

Hi

I am having considerable trouble trying to authenticate shadow passwords on
Linux. We have a program that ships on Solaris, HP-UX and AIX. For each
platform we have a different version of the executable that authenticates
using shadow passwords. For Linux we are trying to do the same thing. The
standard version of the program works fine but the shadow version fails
when it attempts to authenticate a user. We are using the 'standard' stuff
of getspnam() and crypt() to encrypt the password and compare it to the
sp_pwdp field. We wrap this with seteuid(getuid()), etc. This code works
fine on other platforms.

I am trying to test on Red Hat machines running 2.2.5-15. These machines
were installed with shadowing (apparently the folks who installed them just
answered yes to shadowing). The /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow certainly
indicates that there is some shadowing. From my reading there are multiple
ways of supporting shadow passwords on Linux but I believed that RedHat
supported PAM. However I can not find any evidence that PAM is installed
on these machines. Any PAM files are not there. I also see that there is
a Shadow Suite for Linux but again there is no evidence that this is what
is being used on these machines.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks

Adrian