Re: rpc.lockd: lockdsvc: Invalid argument

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 05:45:26 EST

> Since I've been testing 2.3.xxx, I am getting: rpc.lockd:
> lockdsvc: Invalid argument

> What's wrong?

The usual: a disagreement between different NFS developers about how
to start the lockd daemon :-).

This means that HJ Lu's code to start it using rpc.lockd never made it
into 2.3.x: instead lockd starts automatically whenever you mount
without the 'nolock' option. rpc.lock is therefore superfluous.

There is a proposal to allow you to start/stop lockd by using

    mount -oremount,lock /

This should provide the same fix as rpc.lockd for NFSroot-mounted
partitions, but without some of the ugliness.

Unfortunately, the code to implement this has not yet been prepared,
and the issue of how to ensure that lockd's state does not change
while NLM locks are being held has not yet been addressed.

Cheers,
  Trond