Re: do_mmap: locking

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 03:42:06 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:

> The last time I checked, do_mmap() must be called after down(&mmap_sem);
>
> * the new ipc code doesn't acquire the mmap semaphore.

Not to me - I didn't look through that code yet. And I already got two
pending patches on hands...

> * Al, IIRC you agreed that the library functions in fs/binfmt_?? must
> acquire the mmap semaphore as well.
> Could you do that, or should I send you a patch?

Ouch. OK, I'll resurrect the patchlet that made exec.c stuff to pass
struct file * instead of fd (into the ->load_library(), that is) and that
will go there too. Crap... That's the third one. Oh, well...

        Al, muttering swearwords and with some horror waiting for
description of reiserfs internal locking. They may very well turn out as
sucky as AFFS in that respect...