Re: 2.3.51 -- I am still seeing the"shmget: shm filesystem not mounted" error

From: Bruno Haible (haible@ilog.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 10:58:51 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> It's more secure too -- and it
> properly fails if your X connection is via a proxy: the current shm
> method can even cause the X server to connect to the _wrong_ shm segment
> under some circumstances (multiple hosts, coincidental ids).

This can easily be worked around: The creator of the segments puts a
random number at the beginning of the segment, sort of a "signature",
and when he communicates the shmid to other processes, he also tells
them the signature. The attaching processes then check whether the
signature they find in the segment is the same as the one they got
communicated.

This technique is employed in XFree86 4.0.

                  Bruno