Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Peter T. Breuer (ptb@it.uc3m.es)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 18:28:55 EST

"A month of sundays ago Carlos Morgado wrote:"
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 10:33:16AM +0100, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> > That's true. I run "standard" kernels, and they have _an_ OOM killer
> > that seems to be random! Whether it's _the_ OOM killer or not, I don't
> > know how to say.
>
> They don't. You're OOM, processes page fault and they die. That means syslogd,
> inetd, sshd and such. Eventually enough procs get destroyed and pages are
> recovered.

I beg your pardon. This does NOT happen on my 2.0.* boxes. inetd, init
and cron (the very same) die under 2.2.*. No change except the kernel.
I should know. It's taken months to establish defenses. Those defenses
had to wait upon a diagnosis of what was killing them. The empirical
proof of the diagnosis is that the defenses work. The difference
between before and after is something like 66% uptime -> 99% uptime.

Peter