Logical problem withj devfs/devfsd

From: Meino Christian Cramer (mccramer@s.netic.de)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 11:59:06 EST

Hallo!

 I have a "logocal based" :-) problem with devfs.

 What is there:

 /dev as mountpoint for devfs
 an entry in fstab to mount devfs
 and devfsd started as the first of all before any other things done
 in any bootscript.

 This works for most cases. But: The mixer and pcm devices of the alsa-
 sound driver I use cannot be accessed that way. The configure script
 of devfsd tells devfsd to make some old fashioned symlinks from the
 alsa devices (the alsa driver supports devfs) to the "old" device hierachy
 as used by some programs not aware of devfs. So nice so fine. The "real"
 alsa devices are of the correct permissions/modes: (rw-)*.

 Until now I thought, symlinks under linux does not have any permissions/modes
 itsself, they get them from their targets they link to.

 Not under devfs! The symlinks show a (r-x)* mode.

 Therefore the pcm and mixer devices are not accessible for writing.

 Same *seems* to be relevant to the devpts.

 If I compile a kernel with devfs support and no extra devpts support -- as
 said in the readmes for devfs -- I cannot use gpg via mew via xemacs: The
 passport dialog is not fetched by xemacs, instead it appears on the terminal
 from where xemacs was started (or in the depth of the windowmanager, if
 started via menu). Input of the passphrase is impossible in either case.

 So, what I am doing wrong?

 Different manual chmod/chown attacks on the devices in questions and via the
 cnf-file of devfsd failed.

 KEEP HACKING!
 Meino

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged
$25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from
this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BATF DOD WACO RUBY RIDGE OKC OKLAHOMA CITY MILITIA GUN
HANDGUN MILGOV ASSAULT RIFLE TERRORISM BOMB DRUG HORIUCHI KORESH DAVIDIAN KAHL
POSSE COMITATUS RANDY WEAVER VICKIE WEAVER SPECIAL FORCES LINDA THOMPSON SPECIAL
OPERATIONS GROUP SOG SOF DELTA FORCE CONSTITUTION BILL OF RIGHTS WHITEWATER POM
PARK ON METER ARKANSIDE IRAN CONTRAS OLIVER NORTH VINCE FOSTER PROMIS MOSSAD
NASA MI5 ONI CID AK47 M16 C4 MALCOLM X REVOLUTION CHEROKEE HILLARY BILL CLINTON
GORE GEORGE BUSH WACKENHUT TERRORIST TASK FORCE 160 SPECIAL OPS 12TH GROUP 5TH
GROUP SF