Re: Comparing Redhat Linux 6.1 & FreeBSD 3.4

From: Otto E Solares (solca@fisicc-ufm.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:30:55 EST

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 03:26:04PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Koroush Saraf <akhavans@usc.edu> said:
>
> > I'm a student at University of Southern California taking advanced
> > operating systems. I'm planning to write a paper benchmarking Redhat
> > Linux 6.1 and FreeBSD 3.4 on a Pentium 500mhz for its application level
> > performance and network server level performance. I also intend to run
> > lmbench as well as Ousterhout tests.
>
> You might want to take a look at Red Hat 6.2beta and/or the current
> development kernels. I know very little of *BSD, but I assume they have
> some sort of beta too. That way, your results aren't only for the (soon to
> be forgotten) not-so-recent past.
>
> Just curiosity: Why Red Hat? There are tons of other distributions around.
>
> One condition: Share your results ;-)

IMHO just test the FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE with RedHat 6.1/6.2beta, i made
here a non-professional network benchmark with FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE, SunOS 2.7
and RedHat 6.1 in 100Mb/s with netperf tool and the winner was RedHat, at
10Mb/s the winner was FreeBSD, it could be nice to test it on Gigabit eth.

-otto

--
answers?
$ perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'