Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@sfgoth.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 07:54:14 EST

> > People have actually tried this and my patch seems to
> > catch the hog just fine :)
>
> Any sufficiently well-coded bomb is indistinguishable from an innocent
> unattended package :-)

Which is why the solution is two-part:
  * An OOM killer good enough to handle the "some process went insane"
    case. From all accounts, Rik's patch does this well.
  * Comprehensive per-uid resource accounting (the beancounting work)
    to guard against malicious users. This would be great for 2.5
    (but, of course, that was said about 2.3 as well..) A full
    implementation would also fix DoSes against users using kernel
    memory (network buffers, page table mappings) which is a lot
    nastier than simple VM exhaustion.

-Mitch