Re: parport_pc in linux-2.3.99-pre1

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 08:21:43 EST

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 02:03:19 -0500,
Ian Peters <itp@gnu.org> wrote:
>The parport_pc module won't unload. After it was demand loaded by
>kmod during startup of lprng, rmmod -a marked it as (deleted), size 0,
>but it was still listed by lsmod.

As it should be until the parport_pc cleanup routine returns. You need
to find out why the cleanup routine is not existing correctly. It is
almost certainly a parport problem.

>Trying to rmmod parport_pc returned
>"rmmod: module parport_pc is not loaded", even though it was listed
>under /proc/modules and lsmod.

Listed but marked as deleted. The kernel module code allows the name
to be listed but attempts to get more details like symbols will return
ENOENT. There is no error code for "it is there but it is not in a
usable state", ENOENT is as close as we get.

>Trying rmmod -a changed its status from (deleted) to (uninitialized).

That is a bug in lsmod, fixed in the next modutils. It should always
report (deleted).

>Luckily, unlike the recent
>problems with serial.o, this doesn't cause rmmod to hang.

Probably because cron was also running rmmod -a. I expect one hung
rmmod when a module is in deleted status.