DevFS and USB...

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 09:36:59 EST

Hello all,

        I just got involved in USB a few months ago (mostly for a camera
memory interface) and am now in love with it. The fact that I can resolve
a lot of interrupt conflicts and problems with running out of interrupts
just by moving stuff to USB is wonderful. Skeptical at first, I'm
now finding that it's solving a number of problems (like add on serial
interfaces, parallel interfaces, multiple mice, and tablets).

        Considering that DevFS is now in the 2.3 kernels and is likely
to be a fixture in the 2.4 kernels and USB is becoming quite popular,
is anyone looking at DevFS support in USB? Given the comings and goings
of devices and drivers and what not in USB, I would guess that DevFS
support is going to involve more that a little bit of work (reasonably
straight forward, just a lot of it).

        I just got done adding DevFS support to the Computone Multiport
drivers and someone remarked to me that now that DevFS in in the kernel
sources we are now cleaning up some loose ends (referring to the Computone
Drivers as one such loose end). Seems to me like USB is a whole ball of
loose ends for DevFS. Anyone even know what the USB hierarchy in the
DevFS namespace should look like?

        Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com