Re: 2.3.51 cardbus

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 14:17:09 EST

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 07:59:00AM +0100, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> 1. The driver is not built unless you figure out to enable it under PCI
> where normal users will definitely _not_ look for PC-Card drivers.

I'm not sure how to address this within the bounds of the kernel
configuration system. It's partly why, for the standalone PCMCIA
package, I just build all the PCMCIA client drivers unconditionally,
and don't give anyone any choice: one person out of 10,000 complains
about the build taking an extra two minutes, but I get far fewer
support questions about which driver(s) do what. In the kernel tree,
you've got to enable hotplug support; and pcmcia support; and cardbus
support; and then realize that the PCI tulip driver is the one that
goes with your Xircom CardBus card. That's all nearly completely
opaque.

> 2. cardmgr has no idea it needs to look for tulip.o in misc/ instead of
> tulip_cb.o in pcmcia/: it complains about unknown card in slot 0.

There are still some gaps in the new "hotplug" API that need to be
addressed. I cannot really fix cardmgr to handle the new drivers
until this is fixed in the kernel (the real issue is that the new
drivers have no means for communicating new device information with
user space. cardmgr needs this information to do its work, but with
the new drivers, it can't)

> 3. modprobing the tulip driver manually correctly recognizes my Xircom
> RBEM56G-100 but i see no link and no error output.

Hmmm, I thought that the updated tulip driver had the Xircom changes
merged in. It is possible that a mistake was made when that was done.
There have been some other reports of trouble with the new tulip
driver, however, so it might not be a Xircom issue. It would be
useful to post the actual resource allocation messages for the card.
Jeff Garzik is maintaining the tulip driver in the kernel source tree.

You can also still build the standalone PCMCIA package against a new
2.3.* kernel, for comparison. To do this, you need to build a 2.3.*
kernel with PCMCIA turned off completely; also check the current
PCMCIA "BUGS" file for some notes about how to make this work.

-- Dave