Re: Cleanup of module code

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 20:56:58 EST

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> Of course I read it, but I don't think you read all of mine. Using
> either of __NO_VERSION__ or module_version() embeds knowledge about how
> the object will be linked into the source code. If we ever want the
> option of compiling everything as a module and using an intelligent
> linker to construct the kernel from assorted objects (Genesis?) then
> that embedded knowledge has to go. Every module must be compiled with
> __module_kernel_version and the linker must decide how to handle the
> symbols.

Well, THAT is probably years into the future.

That said, I'd prefer to get rid of the module version entirely, and
possibly embed it as an ELF section name or similar, and not in the
current format. Which would solve the problem entirely. But in the
meantime, even just the simple "get rid of the current silly magic build
flags" would be a big step in the right direction.

                Linus