Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Jason Gunthorpe (jgg@ualberta.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 22:25:12 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Alex Belits wrote:

> > If this means apache gets blown away because a CGI went insane then too
> > bad.

> Killing Oracle, or any other server that depends on some process being
> alive and keeping a valuable, complex, hard to recover data on disk and
> in memory, is in some cases not any better than just blowing up the box.

It might not be better, but it isn't worse. At least your filesystem is
nice and consistent and you can telnet in and recover.

I think you have to accept that it is impossible to always kill the 'right
process' because that definition is too vauge. Killing the biggest process
however is an iterative thing, eventually the thing actually sucking up
ram will become the biggest process and be killed [barring any
maliciousness]. The machine will still operate, it might not run crticial
services but there will be nice log messages about what happened and you
can
   a) Buy more ram and install more swap
   b) Fix the buggy software

All much better than what happened to us in 2.2.6!

Jason