Re: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 12:02:08 EST

[cc trimmed - folks, maillists are there for purpose]

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Chris Mason wrote:
> >
> > > We agree, these fixes have already started. We'll send them to you as
> > > they stabilize. I would much rather have your help getting rid of
> > > read_inode2 than cleaning up our other messes ;-)
> >
> > I need to get fhandle_to_dentry() stable on ext2. From the look at your
> > code there should be no serious problems with that stuff.
> >
> Ok, sounds good.

Basically you'll need two things to take that code: way to find the ID of
".." _and_ way to get the name by ID. Both are trivial with ext2 directory
structure. What will they cost on reiserfs? Both are needed only when
knfsd gets an fhandle cache miss and currently done via lookup() and
readdir() (with funny filldir) from underlying filesystem. Which amounts
to heck of overhead. _Anything_ will be better than ->readdir() - count
the calls of filldir and you'll see.