Re: CDROM mount problem in 2.2.14, worked in 2.2.12-20

From: Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 07:08:33 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Brad Nelson wrote:

> Greetings, this is my first linux-kernel post, but I'm a longtime Linux
> user.
>
> I'm installing Linux on a dual PIII Asus based system. My initial
> install was kernel 2.2.12-20smp, the out-of-the-box kernel in RedHat
> 6.1; my Plextor PX-W8432T IDE CD-R mounts fine in that version.
>
> However, after building and installing kernel 2.2.14, I can't get the
> CD-R(OM) to mount. I've got several symptoms:

Sounds very familiar. I had similar problems with an ASUS P2B-DS dual
PIII on kernels > 2.2.12. After much thrashing around I discovered that
placing the CD device in the BIOS boot path (e.g. A --> CDROM --> C) made
the symptoms disappear. Apparently there is some necessary device (or,
more likely, IDE chipset) initialization performed during the attempted
boot. The only downside is that you need to remove bootable CDs before
trying to boot from hard disk <g>.

Let us know if this helps?

Steve