Latest Linux kernels' md(software RAID) features

From: Nicholas Vinen (hb@sonique.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 09:53:38 EST

   Hi, I'm having a problem with the raid0 features of the latest Linux
kernels. (2.3.50, 2.3.51 and 2.3.52-prewhatever). Basically when I do
"mdadd -ar" on bootup I get:

/dev/hde5: no such device
/dev/hdg5: no such device
/dev/md0: no such device

   However, I can operate on the /dev/hde5 and /dev/hdg5 block devices
just fine otherwise. It seems as if the md interface to the kernel has
changed recently, since the md-tools no longer compile with these kernels
either? I thought the recompile would be the problem, since maybe some
IOCTL commands changed or something. Do I need a completely newer version
of the md-utils? (I can't find anywhere in the docs where it says so or
where to get them). Is this a known problem?

(P.S. what happened to raid1, 4, 5)

        Nicholas Vinen

---

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." -- Robert Firth