2.2.13, 2.2.14, 2.2.15-pre14 crashes

From: Pawel Stolowski (yogin@cb.pl)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:48:26 EST

Hi!

At first: I'm not sure if I sent it to the right person. Second:
forgive me my english.

As you may already guessed reading the topic, I encountered probles
running kernels 2.2.13, 2.2.14 and 2.2.15-pre14. It seems, that 2.2.x
have probles with my hardware. The *important* thing is, that
everything runs *fine*, when using 2.3.33.

Brief info about my machine:
Intel Pentium 100, Intel Zappa (Advanced ZP) motherboard, 80MB EDO
RAM, S3Trio64 2MB graphics card, Voodoo2 12MB, Sound Blaster 16 & GUS
sound cards, 17GB Seagate on IDE0-master, 1GB Seagate on IDE0-slave,
LG40X CDROM driver on IDE1-master, Lucent WinModem (uses Lucent driver
for 2.2.12-20 kernel, but the driver has nothing to do with crashes
for sure). No other OS (only Slackware Linux 7.0).

Symptoms:
Kernel crashes in a random way usually 2-3 times a day, assuming
computer running for 8-10 hours. It happens when I do "something",
eg. switch consoles, exit an application etc. The screen output
is *always* the same and it says:
--------------------
Code: <1>Unable to handle kernel Null pointer dereference at virtual
address 00000000
current->tss.cr3=00101000, %cr3=00101000
*pde=00000000
Oops: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 010:[<c0107e3d>]
EFLAGS: 00010046

Process swapper (pid: 0, process nr: 0, stackpage=c01cd000)
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing
--------------------
(I know the numbers say nothing to you without the .map file - I just
want to give you the idea. I can provide you with more detailed info,
if desired).

That's it. As I mentioned above, I'm currently using 2.3.33 and
encountered no problems. Anyway, I'd like the problem to be fixed,
because some software incompatibility with 2.3.33 (svgalib & modem's driver
which is binary-only). I don't want to play with 2.2.14 for now, as it
is a bit risky, because filesystems are not cleanly unmounted.

Regards,

Pawel Stolowski, Poland
yogin@cb.pl