Large file sizes (>400meg) and system lag

From: Terry Katz (katz@advanced.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 12:32:02 EST

Hay all ..

I'm noticing some system lag and halting issues when trying to transfer
large log files (2gig+) from one system to another .. The logs reside on an
sgi box (server), and I'm trying to get them to my linux box (client,
2.3.51).. After about 400-500 meg has transferred the entire system (linux
box, of course) response time gets really bad sometimes it even locks up
completely. We have used both the standard 'ftp' and 'ncftp' (v3beta)
clients to attempt the ftp. When we push the files from the sgi box to the
linux box, the same happens (transfer gets really slow, bytes per sec if
even, and the linux box lags). The same happened to us in the 2.2 series,
transferring 1gig log files around (lag started to occur at around 400-500
meg mark)

Any known issues?

Thanks
  Terry