Re: ATAPI Zip problems

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.cx)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 14:14:18 EST

Hi all.

>> Incidentally, when I put a Zip-100 disk in the drive,
>> the two values are approximately 250M and approximately
>> 100M resspectively, and when I put a Zip-250 in, they
>> are DIFFERENT numbers, but both approx 250M.

I've now got that system back online, so I've enclosed the
relevant extracts from /var/log/messages.

> People tell me they see "The drive reports both 250609664
> and 250640384 bytes as its capacity" But this just means
> that it has capacity 250640384.

> (If one computes a geometry from this, and takes sector
> size 512, and 64 heads and 32 sectors/track the number of
> cylinders will become 250640384/(512*64*32) = 239.

Let's see...

 Q> # echo 3k 250640384 512/64/32/p | dc
 Q> 239.029
 Q> #

Slightly larger, but I follow your meaning...

> If one then again multiplies 512*64*32*239 the result is
> 250609664.

Nodz.

> In other words, the kernel message is a bug, there is
> usually some rounding when computer some fake number of
> cylinders, and the resulting CHS capacity will be a little
> bit smaller than the actual one.) So, in ide-floppy.c this
> message is entirely superfluous, and the code throws away
> 30 kB of floppy space.

Nodz.

> But I would like to see what you get in the 100M case.

See the enclosed.

It looks like the drive is always reporting the same capacity
independant of what disk has been inserted, which sounds like
a hardware bug that the kernel needs to be aware of...

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 2000, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.