Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Erik Troan (ewt@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 12:19:53 EST

I'm not attributing these quotes to anyone as I'm not sure that I'll get
the attributions correct. I figure it's better to offer these as anonymous
comments then paste a random name on them.

> By the way, I have heard a rumor that RedHat is going to bundle VxFS as a
> proprietary kernel module. Is this true? Does RedHat envision VxFS becoming a
> defacto industry standard if there are no journaling file system in 2.4, and it
> bundles VxFS onto its CDs? Do you have access to the source code for VxFS

I caught wind of this, and I just want to kill this rumor before it goes
any further.

Red Hat has no intention of shipping binary-only software with our
distribution. This includes, but is not limited to, kernel modules. The only
exception we make to this is the Netscape browser, and we plan on replacing
that with a Mozilla solution as soon as Mozilla is ready.

We do have a partnership with Veritas to help them get many of their solutions
running on Linux. If there is any kernel work that needs to be done to enable
there filesystem to work on Linux, we will only be involved if those kernel
changes are genuinely useful kernel changes that provide a real benefit to
existing open source projects (i.e. if there are changes that will help
ReiserFS or ext3 as well as VxFS, we will try and help them engineer those
through the normal, open kernel development model).

Red Hat does not have access to any of Verita's closed source code, and we
have no intention of gaining access.

> obscure niche of CS. If the rumor is untrue, I apologize, and I offer RedHat
> this opportunity to make clear that a rumor you may not have heard is making the
> rounds is as false as we would all hope it is.

I hope this clears it up? Please let me know if anyone has continuing concerns.
We're looking forward to shipping both the SuSE-sponsored ReiserFS and
the Red Hat-sponsored ext3 as they become stable and integrated into the
standard kernel tree.

Erik