Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 09:45:44 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Yury Yu. Rupasov wrote:
> Chris Mason wrote:
(snip)
> > Hans, I think Alexander has told us exactly what he wants done. He wants
> > us to audit our entire VFS interface, and make sure that we are dealing
> > with boundary conditions, special cases, and normal cases the same way the
> > existing linux filesystems are. I don't think we need a list from him of
> > the broken segments, we should be able to find them on our own. This is
> > not an unreasonable request from him, and we should not treat it as one.
> >
> > Once we fix what we can find, we'll send the patch in again, and hopefully
> > the people on linux-kernel and fs-devel audit the code again. This is
> > exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, and it is appreciated.
> >
> > -chris
>
> Hello !
>
> I could not find new bugs.
>
> I did :
> 1. stress.sh 50 with big source tree (~750 MB)
> 2. postmark 50000 files, 50000 transactions
> 3. creating 1 million of small files
> 4. tar / untar kernel source tree
> 5. compile 2.3.51 kernel on reiserfs partition
> 6. bonnie++ with default parameters.
> 7. mongo.sh with default params and with 56000 files in 1 dir.
>
> Reiserfs-3-6-1 for linux-2.3.51 are stable. At least I have not found
> bugs yet.
>
> I think we are ready to do the patch.

At which point in this did you do the VFS interface audit? It looks to me
as if you didn't do one - you just created and deleted lots of files, plus
a few other operations, then said "OK, it works, let's put it in the
kernel." This is NOT what was suggested above.

OK, your code handled a load of basic file operations on one machine. This
does NOT justify considering it read for inclusion. Follow the suggestion
above: Audit the interface between your code and the rest of the kernel
(i.e. the VFS interface). THEN, once you have done this in detail and
documented it, try again.

James.