Re: Linux Jobs: Update

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 05:08:15 EST

In <20000313004548.C10197@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu> Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu) wrote:
> Also sprach Kjartan Maraas:
> [sb problem snipped...]
> }
> } This is described in Configure.help I think. It's now a kernel command
> } line option.
> }
> *ahem* excuse me...

> AAAAAAA!!!!!

> WHY?!?! This is horrid! No longer can I simply reboot my machine but I
> have to use command line options?

Argh. What's the screams all over the place ? You CAN NOT boot Linux without
command line option. I repeat. You CAN NOT boot Linux without using command
line option. Never was, never will. You MUST specify at least one option:
root=blah-blah-blah ... This option is not specifyed as append=... in LiLo
but, for example, in loadlin you must specify it explicitly. And compiled
defaults (where you need to RECOMPILE kernel just to reflect changes in
jumper settings) are kludges. Thus they were removed (not all I afraid).