Re: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 08:01:44 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

[...]

> Being able to have a logging FS in 2.4 would be a *great* way to show off
> how quickly Linux fixes it's problems, but alas...... It looks like it's
> fated not to happen. Reiserfs still isn't ready, they are still changing
> the disk format.

We all have opinions on what 'ready' is, I would like to see reiserfs in
as an experimental filesystem, as it will broaden our test base, and help
keep us more integrated with the kernel. The more users we have, the
faster the bugs get found, and the more contributors we'll attract. I
don't expect everyone to agree with me on that, but I'd prefer that you
didn't vote not ready based only on disk format.

The disk format from our 2.2 code will be supported. We know a number of
people have production servers running that disk format, and we will not
leave them hanging. I can't stress enough how important this is to us.

The disk format will continue to evolve though. Hans has plans for
variable length keys, and they will allow us to add some really amazing
features, including much less dependence on fixed size disk structs. For
example, we can resize stat data on the fly now, so moving from one stat
data struct to another is easy, and we could store acl directly in
the stat struct, but only for the files that actually need it.

Each format change will have to provide compatibility code or an upgrade
path of some kind. When we get there (it will be a while), we'll work
with the users to find the best (safest) solution. This will be a lot of
work, so the format changes will be very few and far between.

thanks,
Chris