Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 03:10:33 EST

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:

> I hope you will consider that there are many applications for which a journaling
> reiserfs will be useful for real users, and higher performance. We no longer
> have the buffer.c ugliness. reiserfs for 2.3.51 is surviving all our internal
> efforts to crash it, and the bug that ws found in 2.3.49 by an external tester
> is fixed (thanks for the report). We will put it on the web tonight for external
> torture testers after I cut a patch. I think we are running out of in-house
> tortures to attempt.

Torture-tesing is no good against somebody who is hunting for races...
Get into sufficiently evil state of mind and try to go through the code.
Thinking "how could I exploit it". And yes, it requires understanding of
what kind of calls can be forced out of VFS. Really. Been there, done
that, found quite a few local DoSes and several root exploits. On ext2.