Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 02:15:02 EST

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Billy Harvey wrote:

> > > It beats killing totally random stuff like we do now.
> >
> > > Can't you agree that the OOM killer, while not perfect,
> > > is better than the random killing we currently have?
> >
> > Yes, but it still believe it remains a hack, not optimal solution.
> > .. and as they say 'hack last longest' once they get in.
> >
> > I belive, ideally *user* should have some way to decide what should die.
>
> How difficult would it be to extend the OOM grim-reaper to allow a
> user configuration file, perhaps with specifiable kill-first processes
> and kill-last processes? For example, one poster had stated that some
> users might prefer that their httpd processes were given the greatest
> tolerance, or another that his math crunching program be the omega.
> Either (or both) could be specified through a configuration file that
> allowed regular expression parsing, or parsing similar to the
> hosts.allow file.

At the time, I suggested moving the grim-reaper code into a userspace
daemon, to allow much greater/easier configurability. I can think of a few
examples it would be rather messy to include in the kernel; first, I would
kill off Netscape processes (and a few others), then more user processes,
and then (once all the user processes have gone) resort to dropping
daemons. As an ultimate resort, reboot (it could have been a kernel memory
leak).

For the time being, though, the simple "kill the most likely suspect"
patch should be a pretty good approximation.

James.