Questions about time.

From: Boris Okun (bokun@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 22:33:05 EST

Hi,

I am looking at David Mills' code for "Precision timekeeping", which, as
I understand is the base for the design of Linux timekeeping, and I have
a few questions about design of time.c and timer.c:

1) In David Mills' (DM) code the analog of tsc_quotient is recalculated
every second to allow for variations in the size of a tick. In Linux it
is determined once at boot. Why?

2) In DM there is a check to insure that gettimeofday is always
monotone, it is absent in Linux. Why? I don't see how Linux design
enforces monotonicty if there was a change of xtime inbetween two
gettimeofday() calls.

3) Why do we call set_rtc_mmss() in do_timer_interrupt() and not in BH?

Thanks,

Boris