Re: Linux Jobs: Update

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 21:42:01 EST

Q <Q@ping.be> said:

[...]

> I'd still prefer those things compiled in tho, I'll use modules if I want
> to be "flexible".

Even "compiled in" drivers need tweaking, so you can run the same kernel on
two machines where SB uses different IRQs for instance. Sure, "completely
right" would be to have the OS figure out everything by itself. Welcome to
the wonderful world of PC hardware (with its assorted braindamages and
random incompatibilities).

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616