Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Adam (adam@eax.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 17:34:58 EST

> > On the other hand if I run some important simulation, I'll be
> > willing to let daemons like sendmail or http die in hopes the
> > simulation finish.
>
> You might want to take a look at the process selection
> mechanism in my OOM killer patch (http://www.surriel.com/patches/).

ok, i'll.

> > Bottom line is that I don't belive any kind of AI in OMM will do
> > the right job.
>
> So give us a better solution. One that also works for
> unattended servers (I don't believe anybody actually
> wants to babysit servers 24x7).

I don't think solution for unattended servers exist. Perhaps for someone
else OOM is acceptable solution, but not for me. If someone wants to use
it. It is fine by me, but I don't belive everybody should be forced to use
it just, say, for shake of someone who wants to run unattended servers.

In fact this reminds me as I have seen an 1'500 pages book about ....
... "Zero System Administration" :-) (yeah, NT book)

unattended severs is just a gamble, There's plenty other things
which can go wrong like hdd going bad, fan failings, new security
exploints.

Most of the sysadmin places I have seen operated on pretty much 24x7
sysadmin basic.