Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Adam (adam@eax.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 15:41:21 EST

> Rik's OOM patch:
> You have a file with holes or other compression. When you try to
> write to this, the kernel searches for junk files. It finds core
> files, /tmp files, emacs backup files, *.o files...

Problem is that one's thing junk is other person's valuable thing.

If I run some web server, the 'httpd's are the most imporant thing,
and it is thing which I least want to get killed.

On the other hand if I run some important simulation, I'll be willing
to let daemons like sendmail or http die in hopes the simulation
finish.

Going back to files analogy the intermediate data from simulation
could be in tmp, that case I would want to save them (of course
one could argue that they should be in home dir, but still) even
in espense of removing stuff elsewhere, which I can later restore
from distribution cd.

Bottom line is that I don't belive any kind of AI in OMM will do the
right job.