Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: ADAM Sulmicki (adam@cfar.umd.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 14:55:26 EST

> > I don't mind have reseverd %5 of ram so that I can su and kill
> > whatever offending process is. In fact I often run in one of
> > windows 'sash' just for cases like this one. I also often have
> > serial console with root on it already which comes hand too.
>
> I take it you run your sash mlock()ed with a special
> kernel patch to make sure procfs doesn't need to allocate
> memory on sash's behalf :)

Unfortunatelly not.

But if would be posible to somehow dividie the memory into overcommitable
and one which is not overcommitable it could help.

Also somehow also make sure that I can designate selected regions of
memory as non-swampable as well.

For example if I could say : I want all processed runnning as root and
attached to 'tty1' have following restrications:
        - reseverved region of non-overcommitable memory.
        - this memory region can't be swamped out as well.

Is something like this possible or am I dreaming?