Re: 2.3.51: FBCON: driver-based default font selection broken?

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 04:20:22 EST

James Simmons writes:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Russell King wrote:
> > It appears that the driver-based (fb_info.fontname) default font name
> > selection is broken in 2.3.51.
> >
> > What is the new way to achieve this?
>
> Since this was such a common function for drivers we made a generic
> verious of it. To use it you do
>
> fbcon=font:Acorn8x8
>
> at the boot prompt. To all fbdev driver writers the fb_info.fontname is
> now useless. This field is been incorporated into fbcon.c.

I realised that, however what I am trying to point out is that originally
the driver could supply a "no kernel argument default fontname". This seems
to be no longer possible, so to get the font you want to be default, you
have to specifically deny the user from selecting the other fonts by
compiling them out of the kernel.

This seems to be a step backwards to me. Could it be arranged that:

1. If the user specified a font, and the font exists, use this.
2. If fb_info.fontname is present, and the font exists, use this.
3. Use the first font available.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\