Re: system doesn't shut down

From: Simon Richter (geier@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 00:41:08 EST

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> > There would be no harm in allowing APM power-off even when ACPI is enabled.

> Are you sure? I gather that once you've started ACPI, you're not
> supposed to call the APM BIOS calls.

> Because of that, I would think that some APM BIOS power-off code assumes
> some things about the state of the hardware, which may no longer be true
> once you've started ACPI. Things that might cause the APM power off
> sequence to fail, perhaps in nasty ways. At very least, that condition
> was probably never tested by the BIOS manufacturers.

The spec states that if you turn off ACPI, you're back in "legacy mode"
and should thus be able to use APM as normal (you need a call to
apm_engage() though). This is at least the theory.

   Simon

PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8 47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1