DEVFS: How to autoload modules?

From: The Doctor What (docwhat@gerf.org)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 21:19:50 EST

I have read Richard Gooch's documentation, searched the archives,
but I don't understand how to work this.

Kernel is currently 2.3.49, compiling 2.3.51 right now...
>From my .config:
CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y

So. I have SCSI cdroms (a regular and a cd-burner). Neither comes
up upon boot as SCSI cdrom support is built as a module. Richard's
documentation says you can just open /dev/sr and it'll autoload the
appropriate module(s).

I haven't found this true for my ide disks stuff, or cdroms or my
sound cards. What do I need to do to get this working?

In a possibly relate thread of thought: What exactly *is* the
format of the /etc/devfsd file? I only want parts of the
compatibility stuff, not all of it, but I don't know what does what.

What is 'new' vs 'old' devfs? I only just started, so I don't know.

What are the module.conf lines doing that Richard suggests adding?
I don't understand them, either.

I'll make a deal. If someone explains this to me, I'll write up a
couple of sections for Richard's FAQ/Readme explaining this.

Ciao!

--
Behold, the fool saith, "Put not all thine eggs in the one basket"--which is but a manner of saying, "Scatter your money and your attention;" but the wise man saith, "Put all your eggs in the one basket and--WATCH THAT BASKET."

The Doctor What: A really hip dude http://docwhat.gerf.org/ docwhat@gerf.org KF6VNC