Re: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 21:02:14 EST

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Artur Skawina wrote:

> no, it doesn't, but i now have a suspect -- bash. [v1.14.5(1) linked w/ libc5]
> why this didn't occur to me when i noticed init=/bin/bash didn't
> work either i have no idea :)
> As i don't see bash using any sysvmem, i'll have to investigate further.
> [were there any changes to mmap() semantics?]
>
> [turns out bash (ie the dynamic linker) gets killed with a SIGBUS, after
> it maps a zero-length "/etc/ld.so.preload"

Ahhah!

This is another change in 2.3.x behaviour: it is a POSIX requirement that
I don't particularly like, but there you have it. Any access past the last
page of a file should give a SIGBUS. Previous Linux behaviour was to just
map in a zero page.

> [ahh, temporarily removing that file finally gives a bootable system.]

I will leave the SIGBUS behaviour, andif this is the only program that
breaks due to new POSIX conformance, I will consider us very lucky indeed.

Finges crossed. If some other major package breaks we will probably have
to forget that particular conformance detail..

                Linus