Re: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 11:32:48 EST

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 04:51:51PM +0100, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:

> > > did you enable devfs and forget to edit /etc/inittab to use 'vc/n' instead
> > > of 'ttyn' ?

> > If that is the case then devfs needs some tweaking

> > [cut standard]

> > Thus using any other name places devfs out of the standard. Is there a
> > reason for devfs not providing /dev/tty{n} (nothing stops it providing
> > /dev/vc/n as well)

> Devfsd will create /dev/tty{n} as symlinks to /dev/vc/{n}, som if you look
> at devfsd as an integral part of the devfs system, the system is actually
> providing both.

        Too bad he didn't finish the job. I've got a device driver in
there (Computone) which is listed in devices.txt but is NOT handled by
devfsd. So we have to add the links by hand or modify /etc/devfsd.conf
(I'm just figuring out the entries to do that now). I haven't decided
whether to add a /etc/devfsd.computone file and add an include to the
main configuration file or try to add all the entries directly in. Sigh...

> With some good will from HPA and Linus, the standard could be changed as
> well, but as long as there is devfsd, the standard can probably stand as
> it is.

> Oystein
> --
> Never has my /dev been so uncluttered... :)

        Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/